Get out your slow cooker, this Zuppa Toscana soup recipe is calling your name! Whenever I go to Olive Garden I always order the zuppa toscana soup. Unfortunately, we don’t have an Olive Garden near us. That means I only get zuppa toscana soup once or twice a year. That is until I started making my own zuppa toscana soup recipe. It’s so easy to make in the slow cooker, try it!
I never imagined making my own, delicious zuppa toscana soup would be so freakin’ easy! But it is and you can make it right in your slow cooker. You’ll have to do 10 or 15 minutes or prep work, then just toss it in the slow cooker and let it cook while you’re off working or going about your business. When you get home, the soup will be ready and waiting!
There’s nothing quite better on a cold day than a nice big bowl of soup, and zuppa toscana is my choice. I like to prep a whole crock pot of zuppa on Sunday and serve it for lunch or dinner throughout the week. Make this for a gathering, pot luck dinner or make it for family meals.
Slow Cooker Zuppa Toscana Recipe
- 6 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 tsp of oil
- 1 pound of Italian spicy ground sausage
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 ½ tsp black pepper, divided
- 4 cups russet potatoes, chopped into one inch pieces
- 6 cups beef stock
- 2 cups water
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp sage
- 4 cups kale, chopped and de-stalked
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cream
- Optional: Red pepper flakes for extra spice
- Place oil in a large pan over medium high heat until the oil is hot. Add sausage and brown, 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Lower heat to medium. Add 1 teaspoon of salt, ½ teaspoon of black pepper, and onions, continue stirring until onions are translucent. Add garlic, cook for an additional 30 seconds. Remove from heat. (Optional –drain fat.)
- Set aside kale, Parmesan cheese and cream. Add everything else into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- 20 minutes before your zuppa toscana soup is done, add in kale; turn slow cooker to low if it is not already
- Before serving, add in Parmesan cheese and cream, stir and let sit for 3 minutes; serve
What’s your favorite Italian soup?