There’s just something about the flavor of pecan that’s great around the holidays, or any time of year for that matter. Likewise, sugar cookies are always a go-to for holiday baking. This is why we’re making pecan thumbprint sugar cookies! Yes, we’re baking thumbprint sugar cookies with a homemade, easy pecan pie filling – delish!
No matter which way the cookie crumbles, you’ll love these pecan thumbprint cookies with pecan pie filling. They’re easy to make and will please the whole family. Let’s get to it and make a big batch of delicious pecan thumbprint sugar cookies!
Psst: check out these cookie swap recipes, too!
Pecan Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
Note: You’ll want to make your pecan pie filling first, then get started on your thumbprint sugar cookies.
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tbs butter
- 3 tbs honey
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- Combine butter, brown sugar and honey in a sauce pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until you’ve just reach a boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the pecans and set aside to cool while you prepare your cookies.
Thumbprint Sugar Cookies
While your pecan pie filling is cooling you can start to prepare your thumbprint sugar cookies and get them in the oven to begin baking.
- 1/2 cup sugar + sugar for rolling the dough in
- 10 tbs (1 stick + 2tbs) butter, softened to room temp
- 1 and 1/3 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; prepare baking sheet
- In a bowl, beat sugar and butter until well incorporated
- Add flour and continue beating until well mixed; dough will be crumbly
- Knead dough with your fingers into 1 inch balls, roll them in sugar, then shape them into disks. Press your finger into the middle of the dough to make a well, almost to the bottom of the cookie
- Place cookies on prepared baking sheet (I like these parchment paper sheets), about 1 to 2 inches apart
- Bake for 8 minutes, remove from oven
- Re-press wells if needed; drop 1/4 tsp of pecan pie filling in each cookie, do not overfill (See filling recipe above)
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 4 to 6 minutes; total bake time 12-14 minutes
- Cookies are done when they have a dry appearance, cookies will not brown
- Cool cookies for 5 minutes on baking sheet, move to cookie rack to finish cooling; serve
- Makes about 30 cookies
These pecan thumbprint cookies are a must try. The pecan pie filling is easy to make and so good you can eat it with a spoon. The thumbprint sugar cookies are only a few ingredients and are a perfect pair for the pecan pie filling. These pecan thumbprint cookies are all around awesome! Perfect for bake sales, holidays, work parties and other gatherings. They’re a prefect little cookie to serve your guests any time of year!