Chocolate Football Cake
Did you know January 27th is National Chocolate Cake Day? Well, it is and I’m making a football shaped chocolate SNICKERS® cake to celebrate national chocolate cake day and the football playoffs! We’re having a big football party to celebrate the Super Bowl and I know this cake will be a hit!
Chocolate SNICKERS® Football Cake Recipe
We’ll need a whole mess of ingredients, but the first thing I did was buy a football shaped cake pan. You can easily do this without a football cake pan by using a round cake pan and stripping out a strip of cake, about 2 or 3 inches, from the middle of the circle and sliding the cake together to create a football shape. I just have a thing for novelty pans, I think they’re cool!
Anyways, let’s get to the recipe! Enjoy!
This recipe is more akin to a pound cake, so it will take a bit longer to bake than a box cake mix, and you should watch it closely. It is a little tricky baking a pound-like cake in a regular pan, but it comes out so nice, rich and chocolaty!
If you notice the edges baking too much faster than the center, turn down the temperature and increase the cook time. For mine, I adjusted the temperature to 325º after 30 minutes and baked the cake for an extra 10 minutes. Again, watch it closely and check it with a toothpick. A lot of different factors will come into play when baking a pound cake in a regular cake pan and each kitchen will be different.
For the football pan I made two batches of batter to fill the pan two-thirds of the way full. As you can see, I had left over batter (too much to lick!) — so I made some cupcakes, too. I’m calling it a happy accident! I had enough to make 6 cupcakes — yum! I assembled them the same way I did with the cake, by putting SNICKERS® Minis in the center – and one on top for decorations of course! I baked these along side the cake for 20 minutes and they came out perfect.
National Chocolate Cake Day Football Cake
A fun football cake for National chocolate cake day!
- Preheat oven to 350º
- With your kitchen stand mixer, mix together butter and vanilla, adding sugar until it had a fluffy appearance, don't over beat.
- Beat in one egg at a time, one after the other.
- Add sour cream, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking power and salt, mix on low until everything is well incorporated
- Add flour and continue mixing on low until mixed in
- Grease pan with butter or cooking spray
- Spread 1/2 batter into pans evenly
- Add SNICKERS® Minis - just plunk them in, press them down a tiny bit if needed
- Add remaining batter over the SNICKERS® Minis
- Bake in oven for 55-60 minutes for a one pan recipe. Check cake using a toothpick inserted into the cake near the center. When toothpick comes out nearly clean, cake is done. See note above for cook time and temperature adjustment.
- Let cool before frosting
Scroll down to see my easy peasy peanut butter frosting recipe & my frosting tip for making your football come out with a nice smooth texture! To decorate my cake with SNICKERS® Minis, I cut some in half to create the football laces, and then surrounded the cake with whole ones as well.
Easy Peanut Butter Frosting
This peanut butter frosting is so easy, but so delicious! I take mere minutes to whip it up, so wait until your cake is cooled before starting the frosting. If you like peanut butter, you’re going to love this peanut butter frosting!
- 1 cup butter – room temperature
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- ¼ milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- In your mixer bowl, beat butter on medium speed until it’s turned fluffy
- Add peanut butter and ¾ cups confectioners sugar, milk and vanilla extract – continue mixing
- Gradually add in the remaining confectioners sugar, add about 1/2 cup at a time and beat until smooth before adding more. Add the remaining 3¼ cups, beating until smooth.
This cake is perfect to serve at your football game day party, football themed birthday party, or any time you’re ready to get your football on! This is also perfect for National Chocolate Cake Day since it falls just around the time of the football playoff and championship games. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate than with a SNICKERS® cake!
What’s your favorite cake flavor combination?