How To Grill Chicken Drumsticks on the BBQ
Firing up the BBQ grill for chicken drumsticks but don’t know what temperature or how long to cook them? You’re in luck! Here you’ll learn exactly how to cook chicken drumsticks on the grill, without a fancy recipe. Just plain old fall off the bone chicken drumsticks. Don’t forget to check out how to grill a frozen pizza, too!
Like I said, this is not a recipe but a simple outline of how to make them fall off the bone delicious. Your ingredients are whatever you want them to be. You can spice your chicken with salt and pepper, or get creative with garlic salt, cayenne pepper or one of our favorites, Stubb’s Chicken Rub.
- Chicken drumsticks
- Optional: Spices (salt, pepper etc…), BBQ Sauce
First, fire up your grill to medium-high heat, about 400 degrees on your grill thermometer. While your grill preheats, prepare your chicken.
Pat your chicken dry with paper towels. This will help you get the crispiest skin possible. I love the crispy skin, don’t you? Okay, so make sure to do this step – don’t forget!
Season your chicken if you wish. I usually add a little salt and pepper, or a store bought dry rub nothing fancy here!
Oil your grill grates as usual. I like to use a half onion dipped in veggie oil.
Place your chicken on the preheated grill and cook with the lid closed for 30 to 35 minutes, flipping every 5 minutes.
The most important part of getting a nice juicy, fall off the bone drumstick is the internal temperature! You need to reach an internal temp of 185 degrees F. Use a meat thermometer for this to get it right!
Optional: Add BBQ sauce and continue grilling an additional few minutes.
Serve up and chow down! #yum!
5 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- Preheat grill to medium-high, 400 degrees on your grill lid thermometer
- Dry drumsticks with paper towels
- Optional: Season w/salt, pepper or other dry seasoning
- Cook on preheated grill w/lid closed for 30 to 35 minutes, flipping every 5 minutes.
- Optional: Once chicken internal temp reaches 185 degrees F. w/meat thermometer, add BBQ sauce and continue grilling a few minutes more.