12 Days of Christmas DIY Home Decor
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #DamageFreeHoliday #CBias #CollectiveBias
And just like that Thanksgiving is over and Christmas is well on it’s way! We’ve all heard of the 12 days of Christmas, so why don’t we have a little fun with it this year? We’re doing the 12 gifts of Christmas! For 12 days leading up to Christmas everyone in our house will get to open a Christmas cracker. To make this magic happen, we’ll do a fun DIY home decor piece that will go right up on our fireplace mantel.
Before we dig in here, I’ve made some printable 12 Days of Christmas tags for you to use, you can find them down below our decorating tips. Print as many as you need, hang one set of numbers from Command™ Clear Mini Hooks on the mantel piece, and if you have personalized gifts for each night – hang one from each gift and add the person’s name to it.
If you don’t want to participate in the ‘winner takes all’ traditional Christmas cracker gifting, where two people pull on the cracker and who ever gets the big end gets to keep the gift; simply have a Christmas cracker for everyone to open on each of the 12 Days of Christmas.
DIY 12 Days of Christmas Decor
- 12″ x 1″ painted wood boards
- Command™ Clear Mini Hooks
- Command™ Clear Medium Hook
- Printable gift tags (print them below)
- Build a simple 3 board panel, attach painted boards together by screwing two pieces to the back side of them. The size boards you use will depend greatly on your mantel or place you’ll be displaying your decoration.
- Note: If the wall above your fireplace is a flat and smooth surface, like painted drywall, you can do this project directly on the wall!
- If your boards are not already painted, paint and allow 7 days for the paint to dry before attaching Command™ Brand products.
- Loop twine through your gift tags and dry fit them on the board so you can see where you should place your Command™ Clear Mini Hooks.
- Attach 12 Command™ Clear Mini Hooks alternating across your board on the lower half and 1 Command™ Clear Medium Hook in the center near the top of your piece, as directed on the packaging. Remember to wait at least one hour before hanging decorations on the Command™ Brand products.
- Remember to clean the surface with rubbing alcohol before mounting the Command™ Brand Hooks.
- Read instructions; different Command™ Brand Hooks may have different mounting instructions, so make sure to read the packaging before mounting them to your surface.
Hang your 12 days of Christmas tags on the Command™ Clear Mini Hooks and hang your wreath on the Command™ Clear Medium Hook.
Our fun 12 Days of Christmas project is done. But of course, the decorating continues; keep scrolling to see how we easily hang garland on the mantel and print your 12 days of Christmas tags!
No Damage Decorating!
How do you hang garland on your mantel or a wreath on your wall without damaging the paint? That’s easy! Command™ Brand Hooks – they’ll come right off when the holidays are over, with no damage left behind! No nails, screws or tacks – no holes in your nice wood mantel or wall!
Don’t like the way your decorations look? It’s easy to change your mind with Command™ Brand Hooks, just follow the easy instructions to remove the hook cleanly. You can set the stage for any holiday or celebration and easily remove the decorations when you’re done!
Once you have your Command™ Clear Mini Hooks in place and you’ve waited an hour, you can loop your garland through them.
Wasn’t that easy?
12 Days of Christmas Printable Gift Tags
These are simple and fun gift tags. Print them, cut them along the lines, punch a hole in them and string a piece of ribbon or rustic twine through the gift tags in order to hang them on the mantel piece. I can’t wait for the 12 days of Christmas countdown so we can start cracking our Christmas crackers!
I used card stock to print my gift tags, simply because it’s a sturdier material.
Alrighty, now that we have our tags and our Christmas crackers ready, let’s turn on some Christmas music and a nice cup of hot cocoa while we wait for Santa to come!
Don’t forget! While you’re at Walmart grabbing the stuff to make Cookies for Santa, be sure to snag a handful of Command™ Brand products to add damage free holiday decor to your home, just like we did!
You should be able to find the Command™ Brand products right there in the holiday aisles, but if not – they could be just around the corner. We found ours a few aisles over in the hardware section.
What are your fun Christmas decorating ideas?