Freedom Fries: Patriotic Pretzel Rods!
Who wants to get their freedom on? Let’s celebrate with a red, white and blue patriotic chocolate pretzel dessert recipe! Let freedom ring with these red, white and blue freedom fries made with pretzel rods, chocolate and of course M&M’s® candies! This patriotic dessert recipe is an easy and fun dessert, perfect for your Memorial Day or 4th of July celebrations! Don’t forget to add fun patriotic star cake pops and red, white and blue cupcakes to your festivities, too!
For these easy patriotic desserts, we’ll be using:
- Pretzel rods
- Red chocolate melts
- Blue chocolate melts
- White chocolate melts
- Patriotic sprinkles
- Red, white and blue M&M’s® candies (or pick red & blue M&M’s® candies from a regular bag!)
Begin by dividing your pretzel rods into three even piles and unpacking your M&M’s® candies and sprinkles. I put them in individual bowls, like always, to make sure things go smoothly once it’s time to rush and get the decorations on before the chocolate hardens.
We’ll be dipping some of the pretzel rods in red, some in white and some in blue chocolate melts. Melt only one color of chocolate melts at a time.
Tip: I found these dipping containers very helpful! The trick to using them is to melt the chocolate in a bowl, and pour (with the assistance of a spoon) the chocolate into the dipping cup. To coat the pretzel, hold the dipping cup in one hand and tilt it while you coat the pretzel. This way the chocolate goes up towards the top of the container. Swirl the pretzel in the corner of the box while you’re holding it at an angle. You can get more than 3/4 of the pretzel coated this way – dipping alone won’t coat very much of the pretzel.
Dip your pretzel rods into the chocolate (see note above). Alternatively, you can spoon the chocolate onto the pretzels. Immediately decorate with sprinkles and M&M’s® red, white and blue candies. See! Super easy freedom fries for your patriotic celebrations!
I found it convenient to use the Party Size Red, White and Blue M&M’s® candy bag to hold the pretzel sticks. Simply roll the top of the bag in and down to create the perfect patriotic pretzel holder!
Patriotic M&M’s® Chocolate Pretzels Recipe
Red, White and Blue Firecracker Pretzel Sticks
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- Melt 6 to 8 ounces of white chocolate melts in a bowl as directed on the package.
- Pour melted chocolate into pretzel dipping containers (see note in blog post)
- Dip pretzel rods into chocolate
- Immediately add patriotic sprinkles and red, white and blue M&M's® candies
- Place on parchment paper to set before serving
- Repeat with red and blue chocolate melts
- Tip: Use opposite color M&M's®, ie. white & blue M&M's® candies on red chocolate melts, blue & red M&M'® candies on white chocolate melts and white and red M&M's® candies on blue chocolate dipped pretzels
This is one of the simplest 4th of July desserts we’ve made, they’re perfect for parties and patriotic gatherings!
What’s your easiest 4th of July dessert recipe?