Easy Crock Pot Chicken Chilaquiles
Chicken chilaquiles is a dish I’ve always wanted to try making, so here we go! I’ve put together my own crock pot chicken chilquiles recipe using our favorite mixture of spices and veggies. It’s simple, it’s easy and you can make it, too!
This is certainly one of those no-brainer dishes. This is my take on the Mexican chicken chilaquiles dish, so it’s different – but very tasty! Get out your crock pot and let’s make this easy chicken chilaquiles recipe.
Crock Pot Chicken Chilaquiles Recipe
This is a fun and easy recipe. You can set it and forget it (yep, we all know that saying!). Although I don’t think he ever peddled crock pots, it applies here. You can toss everything in the slow cooker before heading to work set it for 8 hours on low. When you get home you’ll have 10 minutes of prep and you’ll be serving chicken chilaquiles for dinner!
This really is an easy chicken chilaquiles recipe. It’s a three step process!
- Combine ingredients in crock pot
- Shred chicken and serve over a bed of tortilla chips with rice
Here’s the recipe…
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 2 tbs El Yucateco® Black Label Reserve Hot Sauce
- Tortilla chips (recipe!)
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Sour cream
Yes! I love slow cooker bags, which make clean up a snap!
In your crock pot, add chopped onion, chopped peppers, diced tomatoes, cumin, paprika, garlic, chicken broth and El Yucateco® Black Label Reserve. Stir everything together and then add your chicken breasts. Stir and flip your chicken breasts around to make sure you get a nice coat of the liquid mixture all over the chicken. Trust me on the El Yucateco® Black Label Reserve — it has a delicious earthy, spicy flavor that makes this dish perfect.
Click the crock pot to high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Once the chicken is done, remove it from the crock pot and shred it with a couple of forks. Return the shredded chicken to the crock pot and stir it together to soak up some of the liquid.
Roughly break up some tortilla chips and place them on each plate, or on a large platter.
Use a large spoon to pour the chicken mixture over the tortilla chips.
Immediately top with shredded Mexican cheese and sour cream. Serve with rice.
Tip: Make these homemade tortilla chips because they’re thicker than store bought and will not turn into mush like the thin store bought tortilla chips!
Easy crock pot chicken chilaquiles with a spicy kick of El Yucateco hot sauce.
- Add onion, peppers, tomatoes, cumin, paprika, garlic and chicken broth to the crock pot and stir together
- Add chicken and stir, turning the chicken so all sides have been coated with the liquid
- Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 8 hours
- Once cooked, remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add chicken back to crock pot; stir together
- For each serving, roughly crunch tortilla chips and spread onto a plate; spoon the mixture onto the tortilla chips
- Top with shredded Mexican cheese and sour cream - serve
Use homemade corn tortillas as they are thicker than store bought chips. Store bought chips may get soggy quickly when used for chicken chilaquiles.