Spicy Cinco de Mayo Dessert Cookie Tacos
A side-step from traditional Mexican dessert recipes for Cindo De Mayo, we’re creating crazy spicy taco cookies filled with the new M&M’s® Chili Nut candies! No matter what your favorite Cinco de Mayo food is, you’ll always want to cap off the day with a delicious dessert, and today we’re making easy and amazing spicy taco cookie desserts!
Usually, we head to our local Mexican restaurant for Cinco de Mayo dinner, but this year we’re going to make our own dinner and dessert. We even decided to do a fun DIY and make festive terra cotta pot sombreros. The sombreros will be a nice addition to our dinner table, but perhaps these taco cookies will be the star of the show!
Spicy Cinco de Mayo Dessert Tacos
To make our dessert tacos, we’ll begin by gathering and preparing our ingredients. Figure out how many guests you’ll have over for your Cinco de Mayo celebrations, or how many cookie tacos you want to bring to the office to celebrate, and plan accordingly. You can get about 10 to 12 cookie tacos out of the recipe we’re using today.
Gather your ingredients and lets get started! For our taco cookies, we’ll be baking sugar cookies and forming them into taco shells. We’ll be using coconut shreds (with food coloring) to create lettuce and cheese, dark red M&M’s® pieces as the ‘meat’, white frosting as the ‘sour cream’, and of course M&M’s® Chili Nut candies to kick it up a notch – these will be the ‘tomatoes’.
Put the cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet. I love to use the baking sheet parchment papers, they never roll up on you like regular parchment!
Sprinkle cayenne pepper on the cookies and bake them until they’re just cooked – the lower time indicated on the package should do. Don’t cook them until they’re golden brown or they may be too fragile to fold like a taco shell.
Be careful with the cayenne pepper – a little goes a long way! The amount I added in the cookies in the picture below makes them extra, extra spicy – too spicy for some people!
Remove the cookies from the oven, let them sit on the baking sheet for 45 seconds (timing is crucial!), scoop them up with a spatula and gently lay them over a round tube – think empty paper towel roll or wrapping paper roll. Do this with all the cookies as they come out of the oven to create cookie taco shells. Use your hands to help mold them over the tube, pinch any big cracks together with your fingers.
TIP: Make smaller batches of cookies than you would normally make to assure you can form them all before they cool too much. I’m making 3 cookies at a time, since I only have 1 paper towel cardboard tube (and that’s how many will fit on it).
If a cookie breaks, it’s no big deal. After all, someone needs to taste test them, right? While the cookie taco shells are cooling, prepare your other ingredients…
- Pick out the dark red M&M’s® Chili Nut candies and crush them with a mallet or rolling pin, these will act as the taco meat
- Carefully cut the bright red M&M’s® Chili Nut candies in half, these will act as tomatoes
- In zipper bags, shake food coloring and coconut shreds. Use 6 drops of food coloring per 1 cup of shredded coconut. I’m making 1 cup of green and 1/2 cup of orange to represent lettuce and cheese.
- A can of your favorite vanilla or white frosting
TIP: To make orange coconut shreds for the cheese, drop 2 to 3 drops of red and 4 drops of yellow food coloring into the bag with the coconut and shake!
Once the cookies have cooled, you can begin stuffing them! Fill your cookie taco shells with crushed dark red M&M’s® Chili Nut bits, shredded coconut, then top with a dab of frosting, and red M&M’s® Chili Nut candy halves for the tomatoes! Find the printable recipe below.
You’re probably asking, what are these M&M’s® Chili Nut candies? Oh, they’re only one of the best M&M’s® Peanut varieties to hit the store shelves!
M&M’s® Chili Nut is one of the three new flavors of M&M’s® which are in stores now. The other two new flavors are M&M’s® Honey Nut and M&M’s® Coffee Nut. I love them all!
Spicy Cinco de Mayo Dessert Tacos
5 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- Preheat oven and shape cookies as indicated on the package
- Place cookies on parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle with cayenne pepper (careful, cayenne pepper makes them SPICY!)
- Bake cookies until they're just done (low time on the cookie package should do), don't over-bake them or they'll become fragile! Remember, we want them cooked but not golden brown when we remove them from the oven
- Remove from oven, wait 45 seconds (timing is important!) scoop them up with a spatula and gently lay them on a cylindrical surface (empty paper towel roll, or empty wrapping paper roll is perfect). Repeat until all of your cookies are baked and folded into taco shell shapes
- Once cooled, remove them and set them aside while you're baking the next batch
- Taco Filling
- Shake shredded coconut in zipper bag with food coloring (see notes)
- Crush dark red M&M's® Chili Nut candy
- Cut bright red M&M's® Chili Nut candies in half
- Open can of white or vanilla frosting
- Stuff your tacos, dark red M&M's® Chili Nut chunks on the bottom, green coconut shavings, a little orange coconut shavings, a strip of vanilla or white frosting, and finally halved red M&M's® Chili Nut candies.
This is a fun and festive recipe using M&M’s® candies. It’s a dessert that will be the buzz of your Cinco de Mayo party! Don’t be surprised if people ask you to make these cookie tacos next year, too!
How do you celebrate Cinco de Mayo?