Scrap your old boring breakfast casserole and get trendy with this dutch baby pancake recipe! Grab your skillet and let’s get baking! This recipe is great for weekend brunch and special occasions or holidays. Everyone loves a dutch baby pancake!
What is a dutch baby pancake? Well, it’s a baked pancake that is cooked in a oven safe skillet. You can use your cast iron skillet, or any oven safe skillet.
Dutch Baby Pancake Tips
Here’s a tip that will help you make the best dutch baby pancakes the first time: Preheat your skillet first!
Yes, that simple trick will help you a lot! Preheating the skillet helps to melt the butter quickly without browning it. Then as the dutch baby pancake cooks, you can see how the butter will bubble up on top. The larger pan enables a thin bottom, and thicker curled and puffed in edges.
Dutch Baby Pancake Recipe
This is a fairly simple skillet recipe. If you’re just starting out or unsure about baking with your skillet in the oven, this is a great recipe to start out with. If you don’t have an oven safe skillet, check out these skillets.
- 4 eggs, whole
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Fresh wild Maine blueberries
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Whisk together eggs, flour, and milk.
- Using oven safe 10-inch pan or cast iron skillet, preheat pan in oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove preheated pan, and allow 4 tbsp of butter to melt.
- Pour in egg mixture and return to oven for 20 minutes.
- Safely remove from oven, plate with topping and serve immediately.
Gluten Free, Dairy Free Dutch Baby Pancake
To make this dutch baby pancake recipe healthier, gluten free and dairy free, make these simple substitutions.
- Use organic, range free eggs
- Use gluten free flour
- Use unsweetened almond milk
- Use Fruit Cocktail 100% fruit juice instead of sugar
Prep: 10 minutes Cooktime: 20 minutes Servings: 2-4
Need a delicious side to accompany your dutch baby pancake? Check out these sweet roasted breakfast potatoes!